Not sure about you guys, but in our family, our dog is treated like a human. We joke that our parents love Stella (our long haired mini dachshund) almost more than they love us. And when they refer to her as our “sister” we’re reminded this might actually be true.
But, although we’re slightly concerned about this, we can’t help but treat her like our sister too. I mean look at her. Which is why we think it’s super important to feed her nutritious treats – not the store bought stuff that contains lots of ingredients you know nothing about.
So, we whipped up some special Halloween doggie treats – some for Stella and some to hand out to trick-or-treaters this Tuesday night. Because we couldn’t forget about those four-legged friends.
Here’s the recipe for these super easy and delicious (according to Stella) Halloween doggie treats.
*Recipe from Damn Delicious.
2/3 cup pumpkin puree
1/4 cup peanut butter
2 large eggs
3 cups whole wheat flour
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
2. In a bowl, beat the pumpkin puree, peanut butter and eggs on medium-high until combined. Gradually add 2 1/2 cups of flour at low speed, beating just until incorporated. Next, add an additional 1/4 cup flour at a time just until the dough is no longer sticky.
3. On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough 3-4 times until it comes together.
4. Use a rolling pin to roll the dough to 1/4-inch thickness. Use cookie cutters (Halloween themed are even better) to cut into shapes. Place on the prepared baking sheet.
4. Bake until edges are golden brown, about 20-25 minutes.
5. Let cool completely.
6. Package them up all nice and cute. (Because of course dogs appreciate what they look like.)
Happy halloween to you and your neighborhood furry friends! We know they’ll thank you.
Hayley and Ashley